Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day.....

They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, so I have made a delicious little treat for my Dennis - because he has been such a great daddy to our two kids. He tries to eat "heart healthy" as much as possible, so I created a tasty little something that is pretty to look at as well as pretty darn healthy....I made a meringue in the shape of a nest (this started out as a bowl, but turned into a nest when I realized I only had a small fluted piping tip!) and then filled it with raspberry sorbet and topped it off with fresh blueberries - yum! Meringues are simply egg whites, sugar, and a little vanilla & cream of tartar. Sorbet is completely fat free, and fresh blueberries are full of anti-oxidants - this is a winner! This would also be a great 4th of July treat too, don't you think? Here's the meringue recipe to get you started:
6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Beat egg whites until frothy, add cream of tartar and continue beating until peaks form - add sugar slowly and keep beating until stiff peaks can be formed - add vanilla. On parchment paper, draw 8 circles (I traced around a glass) and flip paper over onto a cookie sheet (so pencil doesn't touch the batter) Pipe the merigue batter onto the traced out circles, then put a spoonful in the center of each and spread it out to the edges. Continue piping around and around the perimeter, building up the walls of the nest. Bake at 200 for almost 2 hours.


Well that's it for now - it's time to get out of the kitchen and go back up to my attic - Vintage Barn is right around the corner and I have lots of goodies to make....
Til we meet again...
Pammy

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful creation! I think I will try this at the Windy Ridge July 4th party, thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam,
    Just stopping by to ask if you are ready for the show this weekend?
    Getting excited - are you?
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete