Wednesday, July 29, 2009

King me!

I have always been fascinated with anything having to do with royalty - lately it has been crowns. I have seen French replicas for sale, but they are quite expensive. After looking at hundreds of pictures in books and on line, I came up with my own design. Here is a very simplified tutorial:


~the prototype


I made a paper crown first....


took it apart for pattern pieces....

I used galvanized tin ("flashing") and good tin snips...

the black patina is to "age"the galvanized tin and the chandelier crystals are to give it some bling...

ta - da!!!!!

Now I know my creation is far more primitive than the prototype, but I really like its rustic simplicity. Believe me, there was a fair amount of blood (wear gloves!), sweat (use SHARP tin snips!), and tears (make sure you have plenty of ventilation when using the patina/acid).

I don't think this is something I would make to sell...but the process was a lot of fun, and I finally have that royal crown I was searching for!

Thanks for stopping by....

Pammy

2 comments: